Skip to main content

Volunteering, Aging & Recycling

Ok, ok I know that I am breaking my own rules & find myself in the office once again today ;)
As a promise - or a pact with my husband - I am to take 3-4 days per month away from the office, I'm not even supposed to walk in the office door. Well, this month finds me breaking that promise... just a little. We had some internet issues over the last week that has given us intermittent service, so I've felt compelled to be in here a few hours a day - but only a few! I promise - lol !!

*There is lots of time to enter this week's prize draw for a copy of Rick Glaze's fiction-memoir adventure novel: Middle Fork --&-- a copy of Dawn Menge's children's book: Queen Vernita's Visitors (book one of a series for young children). Email LDBRUMMET@YAHOO.COM

Oh, and Brummet's Monthly - my monthly newsletter - goes out this very weekend as well. If you are not yet on our mailing list simply email me to subscribe.

To start today's blog let me share with you a wonderful statement about aging with purpose & joy:

-- Quote of the Day --

“…People are living longer, many more years are spent in retirement – perhaps 20 or 30 years in retirement and you have to think about what you will do with your time. …In this society getting old is regarded as a failure. …Older people are regarded as obsolete and segregated into retirement communities of one kind or another. Now in other cultures where age is venerated old people are much respected for the wisdom that they contribute to society. …Recently I listened to Obama talking about volunteering …there was not a mention of the huge amount of volunteer work being done by retirees, particularly in the early stages of retirement between the ages of 60 and 70. …The town in Florida where I lived, older people were practically running things. They could be found in volunteering in libraries, museums, schools, …food banks and social services of all kinds. …There is an enormous amount of fear and anxiety about aging. …We now have a growing population of boomers and seniors and all you hear about is what a problem this is, you never hear about the benefits this could bring to society.”
~ Ruby Abrahams - May 19, ’09


Today's quote was taken from a discussion with Ruby Abrahams regarding Aging with Purpose & Joy - which aired on the Conscious Discussions talk radio show back in May of this year, on the 19th. Check out the archived interview, I think you'll love it!

-- Eco & Conscious Living Events --


June 25th-27th: Canadian Association of Recycling Industries Annual Convention
Location: Taboo Resort; Gravenhurst, Ontario (Canada)
Info: www.cari-acir.org

June 26 – International Day in Support of Victims of Torture




Find Dave & Lillian Brummet, excerpts from their books, information about their radio shows & free resources & articles at www.brummet.ca


Comments