Skip to main content

World of Writing - Interviews


-- Quote of the Day --

I got some pretty harsh lessons from the kids… one inner city kids told a story about his father killing his dog. I was shocked, but thought perhaps he was vying for attention – but it turns out he wasn’t and I realized that there was violence in the home and I was concerned for him. And I asked him how he felt about that. …So I said, ‘Kids – look… You are living in a tough world. Very difficult things happen, but they are out of your control because you are kids. Here’s what you can do – you can say to a parent: ‘I feel bad when you do such-and-such to my dog or cat’. And you can say it maybe twice because the parents are in charge. But that can change, you can decide to be kind to animals when you grow up. …Kids can write stories about what is happening, how they feel when they are with animals. …{Pawprints Literacy Org} programs develop listening, speaking, reading and writing skills – including drama – all of which are a part of literacy.” 

~ Ina Hillebrandt; May 20, 2010  

Today's quote originated from a Conscious Discussions Talk Radio interview that aired back on May 20, 2010 with the founder of Pawprints Literacy Org. Click on they hyper-linked show title to find this interview - or look to the side bars on this blog for links to recently aired Conscious Discussions episodes. Find a handy, hyperlinked list of all our archived episodes at www.brummet.ca

-- World of Writing Interview --

We love to feature people involved in the world of literacy or conscious living on our blog... and today we'll be highlighting Meredith Cagen - who describes herself as a wife, mother, freelance writer and registered nurse. In her free time she goes to the gym and out to eat. ...Her family has awarded her the “Queen of the Multi-taskers” title. Learn more about Meredith and her book - Size Eight in a Size Zero World - at: www.meredithcagen.com

Q. Where are you from?

I was born and raised in Brooklyn, New York. I moved into “The City” – Manhattan when I was married. My husband and I have two children, two dogs and live on the Upper East Side. New York City is the backdrop of my book.

Q. When did you consider yourself a writer?

The first time someone referred to me as, “the author.” It gave me validation.

Q. Do use more than one voice in your writing? (first/second…)

My first book is written in first person.

Q. What is your profession and educational background?

I was Vice President of Marketing for an investment bank before 9/11. I returned to school and became a registered nurse. I have a MBA, BA, RN and Mrs. Lots of initials!

Q. What is your mission?

Family is the basis for everything in my life. I love my husband, children and dogs. It’s important to show respect and kindness to everyone.

Q. What do you consider to be your greatest strengths and weaknesses?

My weakness is my over-sensitivity and fear of rejection. My strength is my attitude to embrace change and persevere. My talents include an awesome imagination, and the ability to re-invent myself when necessary. As a working wife and mother, I’m the Queen of the Multi-takers.

Q. Tell us a bit about your passions in life.
  
I feel passionate about my book. Besides my children, it is my greatest accomplishment.

Find Dave and Lillian Brummet, excerpts from their books, information about their radio program, newsletter, blogs, and more at: www.brummet.ca * Support the Brummets by telling your friends, or purchasing a book - each book sold raises funds for charity as well!

Comments