Skip to main content

World of Writing, interview



-- World of Writing -- 

Today we will be featuring Susan Finelli - author of the novels: Behind the Shadows and Fading Shadows. Susan also works as a Manhattan Neighborhood Network public access television producer of the talk show, Behind the Shadows, a program where Susan and her guests explore what goes on behind what meets the eye. 



Q: How have your books gotten published?

A: Perseverance. When writing my first novel I was naive to the publishing process. However, as my collection of rejection letters grew, so did my passion and determination to be published. People told me that I should self-publish, but I wanted to know that my novel could stand on its own two feet and gain the confidence of a publisher. Finally, when I least expected it, I received an acceptance letter from Publish America. My second novel, Fading Shadows, was accepted immediately by the same publisher.

Q: What would you say is your most interesting writing quirk?

A: I often write in the middle of the night with my dog Riley sound asleep, snoring on my lap. I have a habit of talking out-loud to my characters, often arguing with them. Sometimes I wake Riley up and he looks up at me, and then around the room to see who in the world I am talking to.

Q: What has been the most surprising thing you learned from creating your books?

A: Although a writer’s life can be a lonely, I was surprised how writing has enriched my life, opened my mind, and exposed my soul for all the world to see.

Q: How many books/stories have you written?

A: I have two published novels, Behind the Shadows and Fading Shadows and I have begun my third novel. I have written numerous short stories and several poems.

Q: Do you have any suggestions to help others become a better writer?

A: It is important for writers to read.  Before I begin a new novel I take a break from writing and read novels of different genres and to reread the classics. I also find it helpful not to force the writing process. Sometimes your mind needs the time to process the story and get acquainted with your characters, or to just take a break from the concentration.

Q: Do you hear from your readers? What do they say?

A: I often hear from my readers. A few of them have thanked me for their sleepless nights because they could not put the book down. Others have asked when Behind the Shadows will be made into a movie or mini-series, and several are hounding me for the sequel.



Find Dave and Lillian Brummet, excerpts from their books, information about their radio program, newsletter, blog, and more at: www.brummet.ca * Support the Brummets by telling your friends, or visiting the Brummet's Store - every sale raises funds for charity as well!




Comments