Easily Save Money, Time and Energy
Following thru with my promise – here are another 5 simple, small actions that can save you time, money and energy that you can do in your kitchen anytime:
- Baking and roasting are welcome in the winter months as they help heat up the home and reduce the workload of your furnace, however when summer comes around these cooking options are not so welcome. Try doing more baking toward the end of winter months and early spring so that you can freeze the foods and can access the ready-to-eat foods during the summer months from your freezer. If you do have to use the oven during the summer, once the baking is done open the oven door and place a fan in an open window - blow out the hot air as quick as you can.
- - Another option for saving energy is to bake several things at once or in sequence – so that the oven is used the most efficiently. i.e. if you are planning several dishes, are planning ahead for the next few days or making ready-to-eat frozen meals, you could bake the first one, adjust the heat, bake the next, etc.
- - Keep your cooking appliances away from fridges and freezers so the appliances that are trying to keep things cold are not working double time. Similarly, keep cooling appliances out of direct sunlight.
- - Baking in glass or ceramic containers offer kitchen workers the chance to reduce the temperature by about 25˚F. Darker pans and baking dishes actually brown the bottom of cookies and muffins more quickly than lighter coloured pans.
- - Convection ovens allow you to reduce the temperature by 25% and foods often cook 20% faster, more evenly, more reliably. The trick here is to cover longer baked food the last 10-15 minutes so it doesn’t brown too much (i.e. bread, chicken, turkey).
I could go on (and have gone on and on – lol – via the radio show, interviews, articles and our Trash Talk book series … which you can find online, look to the left column on this blog under the FaceBook badge for links). However – to keep things short and sweet, I’ll stop there. You can see by this example that saving energy, money and time are really quite easily done with simple small actions like these. Watch for a 3rd part to this article, which will be published in a few days on this blog.